I recently came across some beautiful music written for the traditional hours of prayer, but useful any time for prayer. The album is called Singing the Hours, and you can download it as mp3 files or order a CD. On the website you can hear a sample of the first track.
Composed by Joy Yee, the music is simple and soothing, with prayerful lyrics by Jim Dant. An electronic piano is the only accompaniment, and it is lovely in itself. Joy Yee’s warm and gentle voice invites prayer. If you like music by artists like George Winston, this collection of songs might be just what you need to feed your prayer life.
Here is a list of the songs:
1. Arise, My Darling – Lauds (Morning Prayer)
2. Fall on Me – Terce (Mid-Morning Prayer)
3. Your Love – Sext (Midday Prayer)
4. Take My Life – None (Mid-Afternoon Prayer)
5. Thank You, Lord – Vespers (Evening Prayer)
6. This Good Night – Compline (Night Prayer)
7. Rest in Peace – Vigils (Midnight Prayer)
8. Conversations – Personal Meditation (piano instrumental)
Here are the credits:
Executive Producers – David Cassady & Jim Dant, Producer & Engineer – Pat Terry, Lyrics – Jim Dant, Music – Joy Yee, Vocals, Keyboard – Joy Yee, Background Keyboard, Bells – Pat Terry
It is a production of faithlab, a collection of creative people in Macon, Georgia who publish resources like faithelement, an online Revised Common Lectionary based curriculum. They also offer services in church website development and media production.